Thursday, October 20, 2005

Is the Great Tokai Earthquake brewing?


It's almost 1 a.m now and i cant get sleep. The thought of it haunts me. Nobody likes be in an earthquake, even for fun. For that matter, i dont think anyone wants to be in anyform of natural disasters, given a choice. And one too many i've had the last 7 days. We've had 2 quakes in Tokyo last 7 days, first on Sunday, measuring about 5.1 on richter scale. I was out checking out the the Meiji park, as such i didnt feel much of it, not more then tremors. My Friend Ganesh was in his apartment, and panicked and ran out. But his neighbours were cool. I even thought he overreacted, since i didnt feel much on sunday.

To my horror, it came again! Just 2 hours back (approx, 8.45pm Japanese time), while i was having my first dinner date with some japanese girls, it struck. We were having dinner in the laqua shopping complex opposite my 43 storey tokyo dome hotel. The restaurant was on the second floor and experiance was beyond words!

I never thought it'll be that scary...People paused for a minute untill the swinging stopped, then continued. But the ligts on the ceiling continued shaking for an addional minute or 2. I couldnt imagine being in the hotel room on the 36th floor when this had happened. The higher u are, the more shaking you experiance, and i think i've had enough of this. i'm not mentally prepared for an attack at such height. But i'll prepare for the worst after this.

It reminds me again of how precious life is and how it all depends on the alimighty up there! Tokyo is preparing for a repeat of the great Tokai earthquake, which is due this year, or anytime soon. The japanese, especially around tokyo are mentally prepared for it, i hope we foreigners are too, hoping that we dont add up to the numbers!

Here's a short video clip i recorded with a fren's phone after the quake stopped. You can still see the light moving. Check it out here...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home